The summer of slapping paint marches on with the ever-helpful Sir Forscale, Knight of Weights and Measures. Well, measures, anyway.
The overarching goal of these projects is to keep painting /something/ while time is short for hobbies in the summer. With this project, I also wanted to revisit painting white and try a few TMM tricks (TMM is difficult to photograph well, sorry!). As with the zombicide stuff, I’m not doing anything beyond painting the integral base. I’ll get back to basing once I start some ‘real’ painting…soon!
Hope you enjoy this iconic Reaper mini. He was a blast to paint!
Got up early this morning, carved out some paint time, woohoo! Wish I was a morning person.
First I put some shade glazes and washes on the armor. I was just going to do a quick wash, but sometimes I get carried away. I also lightened the qhites by putting in some Ghost White and then Ghost White + White, using brush-on sealer to help with the chalkiness. I always forget to try that trick, and it does help some!
Then I went back and did a very thin glaze of metallic to recoup what was lost with the shade glazes and then put in highlights of VMA Steel. Then I made a mix of ghost white and steel and put in some higher highs, which acted as an undercoat for another thin layer of steel to really shine.
After that I had lunch and came back and finished him :p But I had to rush because we had a busy evening, with a charity 5k walk and then we saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd…
Ze tabletop marches on! The blue is roughly done, white is also though I wonder if I might take it up a bit higher as it’s still reading a bit too blue. Do you guys think the saturation contrast is too weird?
I also added in the gold and with the blues and whites in decided to change the shield’s emblem and border to gold, as well.
Probably one more two hour session and I’ll call him done. This session was about two hours on and off. Seems like I could do better for four hours in!
Since I’ve used him for a few scale shots, I figured I should paint him. Everyone should have a painted Sir Forscale (aka Garrick the Bold)! Also, it fits my summer of slappy paint thing I’ve been doing. Without further ado, here comes a mostly base coated knight of measurement!
‘Primed’ with blue liner. Steel is VMA steel. Blue is Ultramarine Shadow and what will be a white is twilight blue. Browns/golds based with Walnut, yellow border with a walnut/Mahogany mix.
Not sure this one is going to be worthy of a WIP, since I’m just slapping away at it. But I’m glad I took the pics, look how they’ll help me shade those metallics!
An hour into putting a coat of Muddy Soil onto the Grudge…so many deep recesses, it’s crazy. And large. I can already see the chainmail in particular is going to make me batty, almost every cell is still white in the recess!
Also put a couple coats of Ginger Cookie onto the zombie’s base to try finishing him off. I experimented with some e6000 glue so make gore streaks but it wasn’t coming together so I just decided to finish him up as is.
Well, gentle readers, I’m not dead! The stats for the site said there was a search for ‘cash wiley death’! Let’s put that rumor to bed… Paint time has been slim and probably will be for a while, curse of homeownership and nice weather combined with a busy year at work.
Deadpimp took first in the Reaper forum contest, which is pretty awesome! I was sure Melissa Powell’s beautiful Cinderella would take it. Thanks to the judges!
We’re running a box-o-goodwill thing, a traveling box where you take a few things from teh box, put a few things in and send it along. Pretty cool, but my favorite part is the group painting project. Our box (there are several running around the world!) has Friar Stone (an old Tre Manor sculpt for Reaper), and I put some finishing touches on him after many people have done the bulk of the work.
I’ve painted the club, 3 of the sacks, 1 rope bit, the fringe on the shawl, the beard…I guess all the little bits nobody wanted to paint, heh. I asked to be allowed to paint the face, but I guess a bloke named Generic Fighter just wanted it a little more this time around. Only had a couple hours, since everyone decided today was the day to call or visit Cash…so it’s a pretty quick and dirty job!
Now he’s off to the final destination to be based!
So this was another one of my experiments in trying to paint a tabletop quality mini. Overall I’m not too thrilled with it. The top highlight on the cloak in particular makes me itch. I painted her in about four hours at paint day and decided the cloak needed a lot more contrast at the last minute. I think I was thinking more about getting food at that point 🙂
I did learn a bit more about trying to maximize brushstrokes, and I also learned that I need to work a lot more with my paint consistency.
Anyway, here she is.