Sir Forscale aka Garrick the Bold

The summer of slapping paint marches on with the ever-helpful Sir Forscale, Knight of Weights and Measures. Well, measures, anyway.

SirForscale_1.jpgSirForscale_2.jpg

The overarching goal of these projects is to keep painting /something/ while time is short for hobbies in the summer. With this project, I also wanted to revisit painting white and try a few TMM tricks (TMM is difficult to photograph well, sorry!). As with the zombicide stuff, I’m not doing anything beyond painting the integral base. I’ll get back to basing once I start some ‘real’ painting…soon!

Hope you enjoy this iconic Reaper mini. He was a blast to paint!

Advertisements

Sir Forscale WIP 3

Got up early this morning, carved out some paint time, woohoo! Wish I was a morning person.

First I put some shade glazes and washes on the armor. I was just going to do a quick wash, but sometimes I get carried away. I also lightened the qhites by putting in some Ghost White and then Ghost White + White, using brush-on sealer to help with the chalkiness. I always forget to try that trick, and it does help some!

SirForscale_WIP_5.jpgSirForscale_WIP_6.jpg

Then I went back and did a very thin glaze of metallic to recoup what was lost with the shade glazes and then put in highlights of VMA Steel. Then I made a mix of ghost white and steel and put in some higher highs, which acted as an undercoat for another thin layer of steel to really shine.

SirForscale_WIP_7.jpgSirForscale_WIP_8.jpg

After that I had lunch and came back and finished him :p But I had to rush because we had a busy evening, with a charity 5k walk and then we saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd…

Sir Forscale WIP 2

Ze tabletop marches on! The blue is roughly done, white is also though I wonder if I might take it up a bit higher as it’s still reading a bit too blue. Do you guys think the saturation contrast is too weird?

I also added in the gold and with the blues and whites in decided to change the shield’s emblem and border to gold, as well.

SirForscale_WIP_3.jpgSirForscale_WIP_4.jpg

Probably one more two hour session and I’ll call him done. This session was about two hours on and off. Seems like I could do better for four hours in!

Sir Forscale WIP 1

Since I’ve used him for a few scale shots, I figured I should paint him. Everyone should have a painted Sir Forscale (aka Garrick the Bold)! Also, it fits my summer of slappy paint thing I’ve been doing. Without further ado, here comes a mostly base coated knight of measurement!

SirForscale_WIP_1.jpgSirForscale_WIP_2.jpg

‘Primed’ with blue liner. Steel is VMA steel. Blue is Ultramarine Shadow and what will be a white is twilight blue. Browns/golds based with Walnut, yellow border with a walnut/Mahogany mix.

Not sure this one is going to be worthy of a WIP, since I’m just slapping away at it. But I’m glad I took the pics, look how they’ll help me shade those metallics!

Prep bench update

I’m not dead…yet! Mostly been spending any hobby time I get here and there doing some prep work so that I can focus on painting this winter. I also have the Grudge bust and a couple more zombicide things underway (forgot I have three or four survivor/zombivor pair prepped, too). Oh, and a couple KD pieces I pulled for a possible scene. Ah, well.

Prepbenchstuff.jpg

See anything you like in there? 🙂

The Grudge WIP 2

An hour into putting a coat of Muddy Soil onto the Grudge…so many deep recesses, it’s crazy. And large. I can already see the chainmail in particular is going to make me batty, almost every cell is still white in the recess!

Also put a couple coats of Ginger Cookie onto the zombie’s base to try finishing him off. I experimented with some e6000 glue so make gore streaks but it wasn’t coming together so I just decided to finish him up as is.

Grudge_WIP_3.jpg

The Grudge WIP 1

I know I’m not the only one enjoying the good weather! Getting the garden in shape, new patio furniture, grilling and chilling.

Rainy night, so I made some time to sit at the desk and work on the Grudge prep. So much prep for this guy, lots of casting irregularities. Bumps, lines and holes. Oh, those holes.

Worked green stuff into most of the holes. Had to recarve a bunch of areas where the resin filled gaps (like between earrings, etc). Then tried a quick milliput slurry across the back of the piece to smooth it a little more. I’ll sand that when it dries. Then, optimistically, mounting and primer.

Grudge_WIP_2.jpgGrudge_WIP_1.jpg