Awright, mini #3 officially off the bench!
I was hoping to hit something way closer to my initial concept and then I remembered I don’t have the skills to pull off most of that stuff 🙂
He was supposed to be sunburned, that was my initial concept. An old retired warleader who spent most of his time in tents and caves and rarely ventured into the sun anymore, called back in for a last ditch campaign against invading human hordes (I’m reading Dust of Dreams).
I went for a tribal brand on the shoulder, and cuirboilli armor bits. His eyes are supposed to have severe cataracts, the skirt is supposed to be tanned human hide. I went with a copper bracelet and bronze studs/banding figuring ogres didn’t work iron or have much in the way of precious metal – the leader only had two gold rings and of course an old GW-style gem. The club I tried to go for a mossy northern forest oak trunk, with greys and greens.
And lest I forget – a Lou Albano-style purple band in the beard.
My first attempt at using kneadatite. I have a renewed respect for sculptors!
I mixed a tiny slab of the stuff, then cut off a little tiny bit, and then cut that in half (for each orb). Rolled it into a ball and it was massive when I went to insert it. Cut it in half, too big; cut it in half; too big; cut it in half…finally small enough (if a bit larger than I had intended originally). Pushed it in with the flat of my knife and then tucked in the edges (also with the knife).
Don’t know how bad it will look painted, but it beats the mess that I started with. Probably.
RIP Cliff Burton, thinking about the legendary bassist today.
About three sessions worth; did the pelts, skirt, straps, leather armor/pouches, wrapping and teethy bits.
So frustrating having a vision for what I want and not having the technique to portray it! For the pelts, I wanted grey with a brown middle stripe. For the skirt, it was supposed to be human flesh. The straps were a generic leather. The leather armor was supposed to be cuirboilli, kinda scuffed up dark leather. Mostly just a kind of pile of meh 🙂
And the eyes. The eyes in this cast are so jacked I don’t even see how I could make eyes out of them. They’re misshapen lumps in different places and shapes.
Yesterday was a bit discouraging with the skin tones. Couldn’t nail my initial intention, so I salvaged it with a fairly blah nondescript skin tone. Tried putting in cool tones and it bombed pretty bad. Since I’ve only done it once, and that with instructional help, I realized I was going through the motions that didn’t fit this tone at all. Just as I nodded off in bed, the little voice in the back of my head said ‘break out your color wheel, dummy’, Today I obeyed, and while not stellar, the results were at least in the direction I’m shooting for. Again, trying for a quick paint job (as I measure time).
For some reason my initial pics were blown out, too light. So I tweaked a few things and now they’re all dark.
Oh, went for a brand on the shoulder, at least that worked out pretty well.
My goal with this project is to both get practice on a Bones mini and improve my speed. I won’t be going for the most elegant job here (not that I’m capable, I guess I mean I won’t be spending much time on things). Got some of the base coat down last night:
Playing on a variation of my Gnoll project, I want to try and limit myself to various browns. Since I imagine the Ogres as a primitive bunch, I’m going to put as little metal on the mini as I can manage. So lots of leather tones, this should prove to be quite the workout and another informative mini project/lesson.
Going to participate in a little group paint project over on the Reaper forums. In anticipation of the utter landslide of Bones minis next March, some of us are going to group WIP an existing Bones model.
So far I’ve just primed him with Army Painter white primer and run a black/brown wash over him to bring out the details.
No deadline for this one. Deadline for the Firebrand is Oct. 15th, so there’s a slight priority on that one. Should be fun to see how different people tackle the Ogre.