Keeper WIP 5

Some more progress on the Keeper, moonlight and the first rough-in of the OSL on the base.

Keeper_WIP_8.jpgKeeper_WIP_9.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics, my SD card died and kinda pushed me out of the zone. I lost 6 months of pics and recordings.

Advertisements

The Keeper WIP 4

I laid some purple into the shadows and defined a few things and then snipped him off the cork. Positioned and measured and dry-fit onto the base. Sorry for the pic, too close to the light and the glossy-ish varnish isn’t helping things (it will get dullcote later). But I just wanted to give you guys the basic gist of it.

Keeper_WIP_7.jpg

His old cork was quickly occupied by Thalia, and I tack glued her arm on with superglue. I’ll let that set for now and finish the joint with GS later. And keep my fingers crossed. Once I get her primed I’ll have a couple ladies ready for paint after the evil Loc Nar moves off the bench.

The Keeper WIP 3

I put in another round of OSL, but I think the bottom of the skirt is getting too light, starting to look like a green skirt and losing the ‘halo’ I like to show with OSL. So I varnished him and I’ll clip his pins, drill and dry-fit him on the base. That will let me start painting up the base, which will help me make decisions on finalizing the OSL on the man himself.

Keeper_WIP_6.jpg

I think part of getting carried away on the lower parts was Kuro’s comment on blending :p Overall I’m pretty happy with where it’s at, and hopefully it sets up the lighting for the base properly and I can get away with not having to tweak it too much more…

I also primed another mini that will hopefully be a pretty quick one to try a couple things out. I don’t think anything new, rather a really old technique (inspired by looking at Orson again, his robe) and a new one (TMM). Painting a Hasslefree (or is it ‘an Hasslefree’ in the UK?) mini is long overdue.

Sunday WIPs

Championship Sunday, nice crackling fire, cat nestled on the blanket nearby…perfect hobby day. I spent it on a variety of things old and new.

I dusted off the Keeper, who has been languishing for a looong time on the bench. I spent a little time doing some value correction on his display base, mostly just black washes. And onto the Keeper himself, I glazed the orb a bit and then began sketching in the initial (darkest) layer of OSL to get an idea of where I’m going with it. Since I want it to be bright enough to hit some of the elements of his base, I’m going to have to push this way beyond what I did previously with the gravedigger.

Keeper_WIP_4.jpg

I think he’s going to be pretty cool!

Then I tried my hand at sculpting a rosebud per Corporea’s excellent tutorial. I am terribad with GS, but I managed to mangle together three candidates which are way too tiny to photograph with my phone. I used the leftover GS to make a large one, and an amorphous head-type thing.

Thalia_WIP_1.jpg

The rose is eventually going to hopefully maybe be part of Dark Sword’s Thalia. I prepped her and another resin mini, here they are drying off on the counter…

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3667682/Minis/WIPs/Dark%20Sword/Thalia/Thalia_WIP_2.jpg

Then I prepped yet ANOTHER model I’ve been thinking of painting, a mini from the mind of Kev White (neither the mini nor Kev pictured herein, sorry!).

Didn’t get much done on that initial layer, as my mom popped in for a visit, which put an end to hobby Sunday (in a good way!).