I’ve been meaning to get a couple minis in before class starts up again in a few weeks. Since I can’t ever do something simple, how about a dual OSL whammy? Subject is a female human mage from Oathsworn Miniatures.
Just some base coats to get back into the swing of things…
Keeping it relatively simple…muted colors, yellowy lamp and blue flame. Also most likely just going to keep it on the simple old school base, don’t really want to get into basing. Keeping the focus on paint.
So this was another one of my experiments in trying to paint a tabletop quality mini. Overall I’m not too thrilled with it. The top highlight on the cloak in particular makes me itch. I painted her in about four hours at paint day and decided the cloak needed a lot more contrast at the last minute. I think I was thinking more about getting food at that point 🙂
I did learn a bit more about trying to maximize brushstrokes, and I also learned that I need to work a lot more with my paint consistency.
Anyway, here she is.
Here’s Svetlana, a limited edition Kickstarter mini from Tre Manor’s first KS.
My first attempt at a more display like wood base, also my first use of grass (blah). Bark rocks, might be cherry, not my usual ash (I just hunt around the woodpile mostly). Very enjoyable sculpt to paint despite the casting issues.
The stuff I did over the weekend:
Painted up the rocks and added some soil color to the base. Painted the shield face. Added snow and grass to the base. I hate that grass stuff.
Ok, trying to pull the parts together for assembly.
After the failed polyshades attempt on the base, I sanded it and hit it with black spray primer and then spray varnish. Not perfect, but it works. Glued the “rocks” on.
Then I flipped the shield to paint the face, primed it black to speed things up a bit as it’ll be dark. A few layers of brown, a few layers of black and then the nmm steel from the armor. Once I varnish that it’s ready for assembly.
Some more work on Svetlana, starting to wrap this one up. Shield needs paint and then on to basing and assembly.
Ok, nice little break there. Back to paint!
Svetlana’s steel painted up. Still some pretty rough spots, I’ll have to go back and do a few more glazes and touch-ups for sure. But you get the basic idea. Messing with the camera again, too dark but I think I’m starting to get it dialed in how I want it.