A project mostly done just to get painting, so it’s far from perfect and I didn’t take time to blend it out at all. Focus was on playing with some OSL and then I decided to try sculpting a base, so this is a huge step forward despite the lack of blending on it.
Unfortunately, I used some liners to give character to the stone and haven’t sealed the mini, so it’s pretty shiny along the walls and you can’t see any of the subtlety there. I’ll hit it with dullcote and see if I can get better pics and update this post later, if so. And though my intention was to not blend, I /may/ go back and do just a minor blend pass on the blue OSL highlight on the wall because that’s bugging me 🙂
Hope you enjoy!
I took a page from James Wappel’s basing techniques and used some paste along with a little army painter rubble to make the floor a bit more dungeony. Hopefully it should bind together ok, then I’ll sand the edges, hit it with primer and get to work.
Mixed up some milliput and GS and tried my hand at a stone wall. Took a little while to get my groove, between learning the tools and the material setting up. Also should’ve done it in two or three sessions, I had to rush the last half of the left wall because it was stiffening up considerably. So it’s pretty rough and the textures aren’t as uniform as I’d like but I think it will paint up ok. The upper right and lower left have a decent consistency and are close to what I was shooting for here.
Overall I had fun getting into the groove with this phase of the project, which promises good things for the future of my ability to put minis in cooler settings.
One thing I learned when showing the gravedigger at Reapercon, a dark OSL piece doesn’t show well unless you frame it properly. So here’s a chance to start learning some new stuff! I’m going to do a real simple stone corner, painted dark with some OSL.
I lopped another bit off the ol’ 1×1 stick and gave it a quick sanding. Then I took a couple days to find my darn stuff. I decided I wanted to have her in a corner (to showcase both light sources against a wall), but I wanted her squared to the front of the plinth.
I cut 2 1×1 squares of styrene sheet. The first I placed on top of the plinth, the second I angled to be the floor base. I glued them together with some superglue…and let me make a note here. Superglue (CA) bonds in a hummingbird’s heartbeat with styrene. I was going to slide them together to spread the glue and it bonded instantly. Woops! Luckily, the worst of the mismatch was in the front part I cut off to square the front of the floor. Then I added walls with my newfound knowledge of the bonding speed…
I did clean up the styrene a bit after taking this, but I want to have a little more lead-in time before jumping in with putty to add the stones, so I called it a night. I also left the mage in the background because she does look better against black!
And a couple hours with the lamp OSL…
Redstone, Fire Orange, Marigold Yellow, Sun Yellow.
Put in about an hour and a half on the blue flame and light. I don’t really want to get bogged down on stuff, just keeping it loose and getting back into painting.
Working on some of the shadows and mid-tones, trying to find the balance of cool ambient light before putting in the light sources. Also focusing on tightening up my brush control again, it’s a developed skill and has certainly waned quite a bit! About two hours this session.
I’ve been meaning to get a couple minis in before class starts up again in a few weeks. Since I can’t ever do something simple, how about a dual OSL whammy? Subject is a female human mage from Oathsworn Miniatures.
Just some base coats to get back into the swing of things…
Keeping it relatively simple…muted colors, yellowy lamp and blue flame. Also most likely just going to keep it on the simple old school base, don’t really want to get into basing. Keeping the focus on paint.
So this was another one of my experiments in trying to paint a tabletop quality mini. Overall I’m not too thrilled with it. The top highlight on the cloak in particular makes me itch. I painted her in about four hours at paint day and decided the cloak needed a lot more contrast at the last minute. I think I was thinking more about getting food at that point 🙂
I did learn a bit more about trying to maximize brushstrokes, and I also learned that I need to work a lot more with my paint consistency.
Anyway, here she is.
Here’s Svetlana, a limited edition Kickstarter mini from Tre Manor’s first KS.
My first attempt at a more display like wood base, also my first use of grass (blah). Bark rocks, might be cherry, not my usual ash (I just hunt around the woodpile mostly). Very enjoyable sculpt to paint despite the casting issues.