Prep bench update

I’m not dead…yet! Mostly been spending any hobby time I get here and there doing some prep work so that I can focus on painting this winter. I also have the Grudge bust and a couple more zombicide things underway (forgot I have three or four survivor/zombivor pair prepped, too). Oh, and a couple KD pieces I pulled for a possible scene. Ah, well.

Prepbenchstuff.jpg

See anything you like in there? 🙂

Advertisements

Saturday Prepday

Started today’s bench time with assembly. Didn’t plan ahead and wasted a bunch of GS, I like to let my superglued joints sit overnight before poking GS into gaps, woops. But I did manage to get Thalia’s arm GS’d, I went a bit heavy because she’s so delicate, hopefully paint will cover it ok.

Then I glued up Seza’s arms and head, but didn’t want to go for the legs and cloth until I can GS the upper parts. She’ll be a longer term assembly, but that’s cool. My first somewhat large resin assembly. Feels good having something quite different on the bench…and a Mierce mini, finally!

My plan was to then start in on paint for the Keeper’s base, but the tamiya grey primer I had zenithal’d with was beading paint a bit and I just didn’t like how it was looking. So I reprimed it in AP black with a very light zenithal of AP white. I like to let my primer sit an hour or so, so I don’t think I’ll be getting any more done today.

But, it’s some progress across three projects, so that’s cool.

End_table.jpg

Sunday WIPs

Championship Sunday, nice crackling fire, cat nestled on the blanket nearby…perfect hobby day. I spent it on a variety of things old and new.

I dusted off the Keeper, who has been languishing for a looong time on the bench. I spent a little time doing some value correction on his display base, mostly just black washes. And onto the Keeper himself, I glazed the orb a bit and then began sketching in the initial (darkest) layer of OSL to get an idea of where I’m going with it. Since I want it to be bright enough to hit some of the elements of his base, I’m going to have to push this way beyond what I did previously with the gravedigger.

Keeper_WIP_4.jpg

I think he’s going to be pretty cool!

Then I tried my hand at sculpting a rosebud per Corporea’s excellent tutorial. I am terribad with GS, but I managed to mangle together three candidates which are way too tiny to photograph with my phone. I used the leftover GS to make a large one, and an amorphous head-type thing.

Thalia_WIP_1.jpg

The rose is eventually going to hopefully maybe be part of Dark Sword’s Thalia. I prepped her and another resin mini, here they are drying off on the counter…

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3667682/Minis/WIPs/Dark%20Sword/Thalia/Thalia_WIP_2.jpg

Then I prepped yet ANOTHER model I’ve been thinking of painting, a mini from the mind of Kev White (neither the mini nor Kev pictured herein, sorry!).

Didn’t get much done on that initial layer, as my mom popped in for a visit, which put an end to hobby Sunday (in a good way!).

Wedding Gift

Here’s the completed display. I really wanted more time on the plinth, but sometimes you get what life gives you. The models represent the bride and groom along with their dog Bailey. The display ‘plinth’ is from a small tree taken on my property, I’m kind of known for my love of splitting wood so that injects something of the giver into the gift.

When I saw the pirate king, I knew right away I was going to paint it as the person it represents. Then I painted the queen as my friend the children’s librarian, who often goes purple as a reward for the summer reading program. And the dog….I originally wanted a dog-sized dog, but when I saw this model I knew it clinched the scene. Couple posing for a wedding photo as the dog goes charging past and they look on bemused.

Display_1.JPG

Display_2.JPG

Display_3.JPG

Display_4.JPG