A project mostly done just to get painting, so it’s far from perfect and I didn’t take time to blend it out at all. Focus was on playing with some OSL and then I decided to try sculpting a base, so this is a huge step forward despite the lack of blending on it.
Unfortunately, I used some liners to give character to the stone and haven’t sealed the mini, so it’s pretty shiny along the walls and you can’t see any of the subtlety there. I’ll hit it with dullcote and see if I can get better pics and update this post later, if so. And though my intention was to not blend, I /may/ go back and do just a minor blend pass on the blue OSL highlight on the wall because that’s bugging me 🙂
Hope you enjoy!
Here we have some survivors from the Zombicide: Black Plague core box, Nelly, Samson and Silas.
Nope, still not dead yet! I’ve been working on a secret project, a Christmas gift for my lovely mate, who is a huge fan of Braveheart. So here’s my first try at painting a bust. Overall I think it came out alright, it was a lot of fun to paint for the most part and very instructional.
The eyes were actually the most fun part and I’m kinda shocked how well they came out! I think I managed to convey Mel’s hazel eyes and I was thinking of my least favorite scene of the movie (when the Bruce removed his helmet).
Now… maybe onto something a wee bit smaller…
I whipped off a quick Imperial Officer to lead those Stormtroopers! Less than two hours!
Took pics before sealing them, in case I royally screw up the brush on gloss varnish, which I’ve never used before. I’ll probably just leave the Imps on black bases because it looks cool.
This guy took a while and is probably over the top for a gaming mini, but I present Zachary of the First Story of Kingdom Death: Monster!
Flesh tones are basically what I used for Rollo last winter. Golden Highlight, Tanned Skin, Redstone Highlight, Russet Brown. I subbed in VGC Ivory for Linen White. I added Muddy Soil to deepen the shadows and create some definition in them.
The cloth is basically Alien Flesh shaded with P3 Coal Black and tinted with glazes of Camo Green. Highlights mixed in Ivory and I deepened the shadows, mixing Walnut Brown into the Coal Black.
The slight bit of NMM was that Coal Black/Walnut Brown mix brought up with Alien Flesh and Ivory. For the base, I just tried to emulate the game board’s colors while sticking to colors used on the mini previously.
Taking a detour, I got in some Tamiya Red and Smoke to play with blood effects, since I’ve been unhappy and my zombies tend to be rather unbloodied as a result. It’s smelly, vile stuff and dries out relatively quickly into a sticky mass…but it looks great. It might be a bit too gloss, in fact (and thus difficult to photo well), especially since I topcoat with dulcote.
First up are the Bones zombies I did long ago. Not much new work, I tried to simply reinforce what I had done in regular acrylics.
After getting some of the mixing down a bit, I slathered up the Zombicide season 1 fatty, again just reinforcing previous work.
Then I hit the last of my previously unsatisfying bloodwork on the Kingdom Death Twilight Knight’s sword and trophy. Long time readers will remember the sword broke where the blade meets the crossguard, and it’s just a superglued butt joint. I could feel it wanting to break just lightly brushing on the blood…but it survived. Not a very noticeable improvement, but it makes me feel better. And I took some alt angles for kicks.
The summer of slapping paint marches on with the ever-helpful Sir Forscale, Knight of Weights and Measures. Well, measures, anyway.
The overarching goal of these projects is to keep painting /something/ while time is short for hobbies in the summer. With this project, I also wanted to revisit painting white and try a few TMM tricks (TMM is difficult to photograph well, sorry!). As with the zombicide stuff, I’m not doing anything beyond painting the integral base. I’ll get back to basing once I start some ‘real’ painting…soon!
Hope you enjoy this iconic Reaper mini. He was a blast to paint!