Ufhilloss Prep

I’m hoping to start getting in some time with minis between my other projects, so I’ll go ahead and fire up a WIP post.

The other night I started cleaning up a Mierce snake and found a bubble in a terrible spot, right at the sword hilt. So I took it as an opportunity to learn another kind of pinning, though the existing hilt. In the process of doing this, I snapped the hilt again between the hands, which was actually ok as I wanted to pin through to the other hand anyway.

Ufhilloss_prep_1.jpgUfhilloss_prep_2.jpg

And the right arm pinned and glued, as well.

Ufhilloss_prep_3.jpg

I’m probably going to have to paint the arms separate, since they cross over the body. Ditto the tail segment, it loops next to itself. I’ve never painted a mini in parts before, should be interesting.

Still need to pin the body to the lower half, assemble the tail, create pins for assembling the 3 sections later, then figure out a base.

KDSFTK Prototyping

I wanted to expand a bit on my post yesterday about mocking up the colors in GIMP. Basically, I take a fairly transparent paint brush and paint in layers. Usually each color block is a layer, but this time I got lazy (sword, armor and lights are all on one layer).

Here’s a couple (very) quick examples of how flexible this is. Once you’ve got the brush paths saved, you can manipulate the hue/value/saturation/etc. GIMP is a bit obtuse and I’m not very good with its tools, but for rough prototyping you can see where it’s handy.
scifitkmockup1.jpgscifitkmockup2.jpgscifitkmockup3.jpg