I took a page from James Wappel’s basing techniques and used some paste along with a little army painter rubble to make the floor a bit more dungeony. Hopefully it should bind together ok, then I’ll sand the edges, hit it with primer and get to work.
Mixed up some milliput and GS and tried my hand at a stone wall. Took a little while to get my groove, between learning the tools and the material setting up. Also should’ve done it in two or three sessions, I had to rush the last half of the left wall because it was stiffening up considerably. So it’s pretty rough and the textures aren’t as uniform as I’d like but I think it will paint up ok. The upper right and lower left have a decent consistency and are close to what I was shooting for here.
Overall I had fun getting into the groove with this phase of the project, which promises good things for the future of my ability to put minis in cooler settings.
One thing I learned when showing the gravedigger at Reapercon, a dark OSL piece doesn’t show well unless you frame it properly. So here’s a chance to start learning some new stuff! I’m going to do a real simple stone corner, painted dark with some OSL.
I lopped another bit off the ol’ 1×1 stick and gave it a quick sanding. Then I took a couple days to find my darn stuff. I decided I wanted to have her in a corner (to showcase both light sources against a wall), but I wanted her squared to the front of the plinth.
I cut 2 1×1 squares of styrene sheet. The first I placed on top of the plinth, the second I angled to be the floor base. I glued them together with some superglue…and let me make a note here. Superglue (CA) bonds in a hummingbird’s heartbeat with styrene. I was going to slide them together to spread the glue and it bonded instantly. Woops! Luckily, the worst of the mismatch was in the front part I cut off to square the front of the floor. Then I added walls with my newfound knowledge of the bonding speed…
I did clean up the styrene a bit after taking this, but I want to have a little more lead-in time before jumping in with putty to add the stones, so I called it a night. I also left the mage in the background because she does look better against black!
Title tentative, just wanted to start mocking this up and needed to name the WIP folder 🙂
Hot as heck here in the Mohawk Valley and not feeling super, so not much to report today. I did start on another of this month’s goals, getting a small Raging Heroes/Red Box vignette set up. The tough girl is one of the troop box multipart trollcast minis and ironically the Red Box zombies are from the somewhat ill-fated trollcast/RBG KS. So I like this concept on a couple levels, a badabs fight scene and a vindicative piece for Ed Fortae.
I’m pretty bad at mocking things up, I tried to blue tack the arms and head and whatnot, but it wasn’t participating…I did eventually get my ideas down, and there are some more pics of exactly how the zombies will fit in on the base etc, that I’ve left off because they’re not needed at this point…
The position of the left arm is going to be tricky, it’s the part giving me the most trouble because it has to be connected to two models. I figure I’ll get it looking as natural as possible on her and then finalize left zombie’s position with some bricks/rocks/debris/skulls/cats (ok, not cats).
Still not certain which way I want her to be looking. Initially I was thinking she would be looking down the barrel of the gun, which highlights her reaction to the zombie sneaking up behind her. But she’s winking/squinting with her left eye, and I kind of want an open eye toward the viewer. I think it’s a slightly weaker position, but having shot the zombie in front as she turned and winked/stabbed the sneaky zombie is kinda cool. Third option would be looking off-stage, mugging for the viewer with a wink as she kills both zombies without looking, which fits the aesthetic pretty well, too.
Some more progress on the Keeper, moonlight and the first rough-in of the OSL on the base.
Sorry for the blurry pics, my SD card died and kinda pushed me out of the zone. I lost 6 months of pics and recordings.
I laid some purple into the shadows and defined a few things and then snipped him off the cork. Positioned and measured and dry-fit onto the base. Sorry for the pic, too close to the light and the glossy-ish varnish isn’t helping things (it will get dullcote later). But I just wanted to give you guys the basic gist of it.
His old cork was quickly occupied by Thalia, and I tack glued her arm on with superglue. I’ll let that set for now and finish the joint with GS later. And keep my fingers crossed. Once I get her primed I’ll have a couple ladies ready for paint after the evil Loc Nar moves off the bench.
Worked on a couple non-painting things today. First I filled in a base to glue Noreth to and then sculpted a rock to go on it later. I also tried a couple different ways of pressing in textures, but I like the sculpted rock the best. Then for the heck of it I tried to sculpt a little rat based on something Schubert did in his class on sculpting base accessories. A big meh, we’ll see if I can save him with paint (which is what Derek said about his early base additions, heh).
Then I put all the stuff I forgot to glue to the Keeper’s base before I primed it. Woops. Hopefully a couple more layers of primer won’t kill it! This base was started in Proctor’s basing class.