Excuse the super rough work, but I thought these pics were pretty cool to see the process I’m experimenting with.
Initially I worked in shadows over the basecoat/midtone (Redstone Highlight). For the shadows I tried several combinations of colors before I got something I liked, so there’s a bunch of stuff in there, red/browns and turq and indigo.
Then I roughed the mids back in to adjust for where I went nuts with shadow. This was pretty harsh on some of the transitions, the initial shadows were smooth. Next time I’ll keep things rough all the way through until after all values are roughed in!
Having had that thought, I continued putting in highlights pretty rough, Tanned Shadow adding Golden Highlight. A few quick shots of a side mix with the midtone to tweak things. Very sparse on the left arm, trying to pay attention to the composition as things start to roughly come into focus. Following on that, I adjusted the shadows in several spots to tighten up the feel I’m going for.