Reaper Bryan said it was his favorite pc mini, and I was waffling on what to paint next.
This may come as a surprise, but I’m pretty torn on this one. On the one hand, it’s a really cool sculpt and I’d like to play with blue, gold and green. On the other hand, without a reference pic of the painted metal version, I’d have no clue what was going on. Oh, Bones, why must you be so soft? And since it’s Bones, I can’t easily prime it white and wash it with a dark to pop the detail…white minis are not the best idea.
The whole time I was wishing I had the metal version instead. Maybe I should rethink Bones 2. Sure, plenty of great sculpts…but inferior casts. I miss crisp edges and readable detail (or at least spray priming white and washing dark).
Stop me if you’ve heard this one…I was going to do a step-by-step of layering up my first OSL (other than glowy eyes)…and then I got in the zone. Ah, well.
First up I smoothed over that troublesome blend on the coat front. Then I roughed in the lamp and darkest OSL layer to get a feel for the scope of illumination.
Then I worked up the OSL, paying attention to metal areas which would reflect the light stronger (thanks, DKS!). Colors used: Redstone, Fire Orange, Marigold Yellow. On the lamp up into Sun Yellow and Sun:Pure White.
I think the OSL is pretty cool looking but I’m less happy with the lamp.
Ugh, photographing issues. Hard enough to paint black, but then I’m not getting good pics (I took a couple dozen in different settings and lighting). So I can’t get a good look at how the camera is seeing the model, and I’ve come to rely on that step.
Back to the present…
About an hour and a half…and I’m not sure there’s any difference :p The pics aren’t helping, I wonder if I’m running into the issues I had with trying to get a pic of Ororo.
A couple of vintage minis. I’m pretty sure the horse was 93, days before my band broke up. Really bleak time.
And I’d guess 94 or 95 on this Soth. If I’m remembering correctly, this was an experiment with black primer and using drybrushing only for the armor. Also letting the primer act as shadow for everything else. Really solid job on gluing in the sword backwards, Cash.
Anyway, even back then these are examples of how I used to experiment with the very limited techniques I had available to me. The horse is where I developed that 90s style of wash/base color/wash/base/etc, my sort of primitive layering. And Soth was trying the black primer/shadow thing and pushing drybrushing. The cape is almost true layering, because I was using Polly S pthalo blue, which was a very thin coverage paint (and I hated using it but it looked great over black!).
This is not easy.
The aim is not actually that he’s wearing all black, but in the moonlight just being viewed with rods everything will be a value of black or blue. So the color doesn’t really even matter and it’s more or less a monochrome style piece.
This is the first pass on the darkest clothing – the coat, gloves and boots. Also, the face and hair with a strong brim shadow thing I was trying out. I think the black line on the cheek bone is a photo anomaly, but I’ll have to check closer in my next session.