Ok, made some time while cleaning the house for the holidays to whip out the rest of L2PK1. This rat was the fastest mini I’ve pumped out, at 2 hours. I only took one set of WIP shots, because I’m used to taking pics after each session and this was only two sessions!
At first I really hated the base of this mini, the way there were huge voids that were impossible to paint. But following the kit instructions, I didn’t realize they just kind of wash it all away 🙂 I guess that worked ok for a quick basic job. Other than that it was quick and easy.
My main complaint and the thing that slowed me down a bit was that the instructions seems a bit disjointed. There was pretty heavy use of walnut wash, but it was split up through the whole process. I skipped around and base coated everything that needed a walnut wash and it seemed much more sensible to do it that way. Ditto parts painted with tanned flesh, etc. Just seemed like the steps could have been streamlined, though I can see it was done to split out each element for the beginner.
My favorite part was actually a mistake. I didn’t read ahead to see the bit about washing the rocks as the final step for the base, so I had been slopping various browns on them as I based and washed…which made for really nice variation when I went back and washed the rocks. The white primer rocks looked greyish and the slopped rocks were variegated brownish grey. Cool effect!