Although I guess it’s not much of a surprise if it’s expected, yeah?
Took 1st in the informal painting contest “Getting Started” at the Studio McVey forum, with my Firebrand Drone entry. It was a small contest for folks getting back into the hobby or just starting out.
I’m just happy with all the knowledge and skills gathered in the process of painting the Drone, but it was a nice cherry on top of the project!
Thanks to all who voted for me, it means a lot.
My first attempt at using kneadatite. I have a renewed respect for sculptors!
I mixed a tiny slab of the stuff, then cut off a little tiny bit, and then cut that in half (for each orb). Rolled it into a ball and it was massive when I went to insert it. Cut it in half, too big; cut it in half; too big; cut it in half…finally small enough (if a bit larger than I had intended originally). Pushed it in with the flat of my knife and then tucked in the edges (also with the knife).
Don’t know how bad it will look painted, but it beats the mess that I started with. Probably.
RIP Cliff Burton, thinking about the legendary bassist today.
About three sessions worth; did the pelts, skirt, straps, leather armor/pouches, wrapping and teethy bits.
So frustrating having a vision for what I want and not having the technique to portray it! For the pelts, I wanted grey with a brown middle stripe. For the skirt, it was supposed to be human flesh. The straps were a generic leather. The leather armor was supposed to be cuirboilli, kinda scuffed up dark leather. Mostly just a kind of pile of meh 🙂
And the eyes. The eyes in this cast are so jacked I don’t even see how I could make eyes out of them. They’re misshapen lumps in different places and shapes.
Yesterday was a bit discouraging with the skin tones. Couldn’t nail my initial intention, so I salvaged it with a fairly blah nondescript skin tone. Tried putting in cool tones and it bombed pretty bad. Since I’ve only done it once, and that with instructional help, I realized I was going through the motions that didn’t fit this tone at all. Just as I nodded off in bed, the little voice in the back of my head said ‘break out your color wheel, dummy’, Today I obeyed, and while not stellar, the results were at least in the direction I’m shooting for. Again, trying for a quick paint job (as I measure time).
For some reason my initial pics were blown out, too light. So I tweaked a few things and now they’re all dark.
Oh, went for a brand on the shoulder, at least that worked out pretty well.
My goal with this project is to both get practice on a Bones mini and improve my speed. I won’t be going for the most elegant job here (not that I’m capable, I guess I mean I won’t be spending much time on things). Got some of the base coat down last night:
Playing on a variation of my Gnoll project, I want to try and limit myself to various browns. Since I imagine the Ogres as a primitive bunch, I’m going to put as little metal on the mini as I can manage. So lots of leather tones, this should prove to be quite the workout and another informative mini project/lesson.
Ok, to wrap up the loooong saga of the lowly Drone who has cast off his shackles and joined the rebellious Firebrand….here’s the stitched final image I’ve submitted for the informal contest over at McVey’s place.
Although the colors on the base don’t really show in these pics, I’m pretty happy with how it looks in hand. Could use some better shading on the base and I don’t really care for how sloppy the pipe looks (back-2-base-ix base).
Don’t know if it’s the different backdrop or I changed a setting on the camera by mistake, these pics look a little more washed out.
I learned so much on this mini, it’s hard to be disappointed with its lack of perfection. 2nd mini down, bring on the next one!